VF-191 was established as fighter squadron VF-19 on 15 August 1943. On 15 November 1946, it was re-designated VF-19A. On 24 August 1948, it was finally re-designated VF-191 and adopted the new nickname Satan's Kittens. It was disestablished on 1 March 1978.
The squadron took part in World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. During the latter conflict, the squadron took part in several combat cruises, flying variants of the F-8 Crusader. After Vietnam VF-191 continued operations with the F-8 until 1976, when they transitioned to the F-4 Phantom II. A single cruise in the F-4 followed as VF-191 was disestablished in 1978.